Brighton Hill Traveller update

The traveller Liaison Officer has already inspected the Gershwin Road site and done the required welfare checks. The next step is to serve the notice to quit hopefully this afternoon. Following this the relevant court action in the Magistrates court is taken.

Encampments on council land have to be dealt with as a civil matter. The police will only take action if serious criminal activity, public disorder or disruption to the local community takes place.

To start the procedures of removing travellers from council land, they must:

  • show that they are on the land without consent
  • make enquires in regards to the general health and well-being of the group and children’s education
  • ensure that the Human Rights Act 1998 has been complied with fully
  • follow a set procedure which involves proving ownership of the land, giving details of the illegal encampment, serving notices and summonses in order to successfully obtain a court order to evict the travellers from the site

You can find out more at about the processes.

Remember if you are threatened or have experienced violence or other criminal activity please report to the police by dialing 101.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This